We have an AMT position that is domiciled in Medford, OR that performs the Letter Box Mechanic duties. The AMT recently retired. TACS reports show that the retired AMT was assigned to a different finance number than Medford. That finance number is a Portland District finance number.
While the duty assignment is vacant, the Portland MPOO (NOT the Medford Postmaster or Plant Manager) issued a PS Form 1723 for a Medford City Letter Carrier to be temporarily assigned to the position. Local management tells me that because the position is out of Portland District, the local APWU does not have jurisdiction to initiate a grievance over an obvious cross craft/cross occupational dispute.
- What is the proper manner in requesting info and initiating a grievance in this circumstance?
- Does the Medford local initiate?
- Does the Portland local initiate?
- If Medford initiates, does the steward request info locally (Article 17 = installation head) or from the MPOO in Portland District?
- Who does the steward meet at Step 1?
I would like to exchange more information by email if possible.
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Gordon
Union/Local: APWU – Southern Oregon Area Local #342
Office held if any: Steward