Union Plus recently awarded $300,000 in scholarships to 215 students representing 43 unions, including five winners representing the American Postal Workers Union (APWU). This year’s group of scholarship recipients includes university, college, and trade or technical school students from 38 states. The APWU winners are:
- Emilee Breitner of Ida, Michigan. Breitner, whose father, Jeffrey Breitner, is a member of Toledo Area Local 170, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Haylee Buck of Colcord, Oklahoma. Buck, whose mother, Diane Buck, is a member of Northwest Arkansas Area Local 667, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Summer Heckert of Smithville, Missouri. Heckert, whose father, Michael Heckert, is a member of Greater Kansas City Metro Area Local 67, has been awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
- Rachel Rothman of Longwood, Florida. Rothman, whose father, Reuben Rothman, is a member of Central Florida Area Local 1462, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Anabel Varghese of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Varghese, whose mother, Smitha Varghese, is a member of Western Michigan Area Local 281, has been awarded a $1,500 scholarship.
“Union Plus is proud to be able to increase our scholarship award amount this year and help more union families than ever before,” Union Plus President Mitch Stevens said. “At a time when many families have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are especially glad to support this year’s group of 215 hardworking students as they further their educations and pave the path for future success.”
Source: American Postal Workers Union