The Postal Service wants employees to drive safely during winter, a time of year that presents unique challenges.
Here are some tips:
• Allow yourself extra time to stop and turn. Slow down well in advance of traffic lights, traffic signs and intersections.
• Leave extra space between your vehicle and other traffic. Reduce speed and increase the following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
• If you must stop because of unsafe conditions, pull off the road. Get away from traffic lanes.
• Ensure all windows and mirrors are free of snow. Make sure your vehicle has enough washer fluid, too.
• Scan the road ahead. If there’s decreased visibility due to high snowbanks, other drivers will be forced to pull their vehicles out further into the line of traffic to see. Be prepared to act by reducing your speed.
• Always wear your seat belt. Seat belts can reduce the risk of crash injuries.
The Resources for Safety and Health website has additional on-the-job safe driving tips, including Safety Depends on Me videos and stand-up talks on winter driving.