The key to recovery is speed. The key to speed is preparedness.
September is National Preparedness Month, a time to learn how to prepare and be ready for disasters and other emergencies. This year’s theme is “Prepared, Not Scared. Be Ready for Disasters.”
Throughout the month, the Postal Service will offer reminders and tips to help employees make preparedness part of their daily lives.
To start, you should:
- Always stay informed about potential emergencies that may affect your area.
- Create an emergency supply kit (include pet supplies if necessary).
- Download a group texting app to your personal mobile device to keep in contact with family and friends during emergencies.
- Practice evacuation and shelter plans that include your pets.
- Always have enough food, water and prescription medications on hand to last for at least 72 hours.
- Learn how to turn off utilities in your home.