The 2022 primaries and mid-terms are upon us and the Postal Service™ is gearing up for those elections, including numerous congressional, gubernatorial, state, and local races. Thus, proper handling of Election Mail and Political Mail is critical, especially as more voters turn to the mail to participate in the electoral process.
The Postal Service’s plans are in place to ensure the timely receipt, processing, and delivery of Election Mail and Political Mail.
- The 2022 primary and caucus season begins March 1 and will continue through mid-September.
- The general elections will be held on November 8, 2022.
General Election – November 8
- A total of 469 seats in the U.S. Congress are up for election:
- 34 Senate seats — AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, NC, ND, NH, NV, NY, OK, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, and WI.
- All 435 House seats representing American territories and the District of Columbia.
- Also, additional special elections may be held throughout the year:
- 36 Gubernatorial seats — AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OK, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, WI, and WY.
- Numerous state and local elections.