Aug. 11, 2014—UPDATED Aug. 13—The National Election Committee, appointed at the Philadelphia Convention to conduct the election of national officers for the NALC, held a teleconference on Aug. 8 to review the nominations for national office submitted at the convention on July 23, following the procedure outlined by the NALC Constitution.
Prior to the teleconference, National Election Commissioner Joe DeRossi, a member of Brooklyn, NY Branch 41, distributed the submitted nomination forms to the nine election committee members for review.
Upon examination, the committee determined that three nominations did not meet the requirements for certification under the terms of the NALC Constitution, and committee members voted unanimously to disqualify all three.
Those disqualified were director of retired members candidate Ken Ring of Minneapolis Branch 9, director of safety and health candidate Travis Lober of Arizona Merged Branch 1902, and national trustee candidate William Haller of St. Petersburg, FL Branch 1477.
As a result of these disqualifications, the committee declared winners in two of the races for national office:
- Manuel L. Peralta Jr., a member of Garden Grove, CA Branch 1100, for director of safety and health
- Ron Watson, a member of Corvallis, OR Branch 1274, for director of retired members
The third disqualification leaves a field of five remaining nominees for the three national trustee offices.
The committee will meet on Friday, Aug. 15 in Washington to set the rules and procedures of the election. The Committee will meet at 9 a.m. in the Executive Council room on the 8th floor of the Vincent R. Sombrotto Building.
The Committee will conduct a lottery at 1 p.m. on August 15 to determine the order in which candidates for each contested office will be listed on the official ballots. Candidates for office, or their proxies (limit one person for each candidate), are entitled to attend the lottery as witnesses.
The election will be conducted by postal ballot and administered by an independent party, following the requirements of the NALC Constitution and the regulations of the U.S. Department of Labor and subject to oversight by the National Election Committee.
Besides National Election Committee Chairman and Commissioner DeRossi, the other members of the committee are:
- Rod Holub, Branch 1018, Manhattan, KS
- Antonia Shields, Branch 530, Birmingham, AL
- Barbara Stickler, Branch 1100, Garden Grove, CA
- Andrew Weiner, Branch 562, Jamaica, NY
- Paul Roznowski, Branch 3126, Royal Oak, MI
- Calvin Brookins, Branch 2462, Van Nuys, CA
- Ethel Ford, Branch 283, Houston, TX
- Lynne Pendleton, Branch 1091, Central Florida
- Delano Wilson, Branch 2611, Silver Spring, MD
The dates of the election and the procedures to be followed will be announced after the Aug. 15 meeting of the National Election Committee.