In response to requests for a model Local Memorandum of Understanding, I submit the Greater CT Area Local – CT Valley District LMOU for Level 20 offices and below. It has some innovative and mind-blowing provisions not found in the LMOU For Offices Without a Local Union Structure:
FORMULATION OF LOCAL LEAVE PROGRAM:
1) The Choice Vacation Period for selection purposes is April 1 to March 31.
2) Vacation selections shall begin on Monday during the week inclusive of February 15.
3) If an office has 10 or more clerks the number of clerks allowed leave on a daily basis during the choice vacation period, shall be fifteen percent (15%).
4) The number of clerks allowed leave on a daily basis during the Choice Vacation Period in offices of nine or less clerks shall be one (1).
5) All requests for incidental leave shall be acted on by noon of the following business day.
6) Properly submitted incidental leave requests not acted upon in a timely manner shall be considered approved.
7) All leave shall be approved up to the agreed upon number as stated in this agreement.
OVERTIME DESIRED LISTS:
1) Two weeks prior to the beginning of the new quarter, management will canvass all regular employees who desire to place their names on the overtime desired list for that quarter.
2) The Overtime Desired list will be posted throughout the quarter.
3) The overtime desired list will be separated into two parts: A.) Before Tour and After Tour. B.) Non-Scheduled days.
4) Employees required to work overtime shall be given at least one-hour advance notice.
1) Management shall discuss all bid postings with the Local President, or his/her designee, prior to posting same.
2) The parties shall determine whether bid(s) have fixed or rotating non-scheduled days.
3) If any assignment has its starting time changed by more than one hour, the job must be reposted.
4) Any assignment that has any of its normal duties substantially changed by Management shall be reposted within seven working days.
5) Any clerk not working during the posting period shall be notified by mail or electronic transmission by the employer and permitted to submit their bid by mail or electronic transmission.
6) Successful bidder(s) will begin their new bid effective the next pay period.
7) If the bidding process is relocated to Shared Services for any office represented by this LMOU, management and the union shall meet to renegotiate the posting time limits.
8) The CT Valley District shall provide the President of the Greater CT Area Local, APWU, in electronic format a listing of all employees represented by this agreement showing their bid position and seniority on a quarterly basis.
Employees shall be afforded two rest breaks per day, one fifteen (15) minute and one (10) ten minute. If an employee works more than 9 hours in a service day they shall receive one additional break of ten minutes.
The LMOU finishes with Questions and Answers, such as these:
1) If an employee requests annual leave in lieu of sick leave, or while out of work on any type of leave for OWCP, does it count toward the annual leave number permitted off in Item 4)? A. No.
2) Does an approved request for LWOP count toward the number of employees permitted off on annual leave? A. No.
For larger post offices and installations, Article 12 sections (Item 18) is an often overlooked item in LMOUs. Its purpose is to protect the senior employees in each section whose duty assignment may be abolished. Another good item to include is a definition of “tours.” See the generic definition in Pub 32-Glossary of Postal Terms. Look at sister unions’ LMOUs in your office. If they have something desirable, you can ask for “me too.” The deadline for initiating local negotiations is September 22nd. Good luck!
First Name: Don
Last Name: Cheney
Union/Local: APWU – Auburn WA Local
Office held if any: Retired President